Thursday, March 11, 2010

spontaneous combustion

i saw a firetruck on my way home from work yesterday. full on sirens and lights, they had to drive in the wrong way lane at one point - and blasting the horn for the idjits who have not yet figured out that they should get out of the way. i literally burst into tears at the sight and sound. it was a tidal wave.

i wonder how long that's going to go on.

i pretty much have no control over my emotions these days. there have been times when i assumed i would totally break down - like when i heard my dear cousin donna's voice just hours after the firetrucks left our house that morning, or seeing my family for the first time after the fire, or the first phone call from my best high school friend (that's a 30+ year friendship for those keeping count)...and i was very surprised when i didn't. i assumed that i would collapse in their arms (or ears), open the flood gates, let it all out, reveal my deepest vulnerabilities, take off my brave face. instead, somehow i felt stronger just hearing or touching them - like some sort of vulcan mind meld where we exchanged my despair for their inner strength. so instead, my voice barely cracked.

but on the flip side, god help the cashier who says "have a nice day" to me. pity the coworker who comments about the weather. it's completely out of my control, and it's completely nuts, which does make for interesting days.

No comments:

Post a Comment