Thursday, February 11, 2010

Today's hero: Jack (not *that* Jack)

Stories like this are too wonderful and overwhelming to keep to ourselves. While we are blessed to have had many of these types of experiences since Christmas day, as a mom this one really touched my heart.

Our friends Jens and Suzie are wicked Chelsea fans and are planning a charity football match (that's soccer to us) in our honor. The match is being scheduled in May. It originally was going to be held this month, but there were issues with finding a field and coordinating everything. Apparently that delay was unacceptable to one young man, who we have never met. His name, coincidentally, is Jack. And he is 9 years old. Jack's dad is one of Jens and Suzie's soccer buddies.

Jack wanted to get our little charity fund going and he did not want to wait until May. So he put together a little pool for a recent Arsenal/Chelsea game: guess the time of goal, guess the goal scorer and guess the final score. As Jens told it "They sold tickets which had the name of a player, a time of goal, and a final score to the fans who were at Cuatro's to watch the game. A dollar a piece, with a percentage of the kitty going to you guys. At the end of the game, Jack's dad came over and handed me $25 for your kitty."

What an amazing little guy, huh? If he reaches out like this at age 9, what will he be capable of as an adult? It's so heartwarming and we are, once again, extremely humbled. So I wrote young Jack a little thank you note which I'll share here:

Dear Jack,

Jens told us today about the wonderful pool you set up for the Arsenal/Chelsea game and that you had wanted to donate some of the kitty to our family. We wanted to let you know how very much we appreciate your effort in doing this. And even more than that, we appreciate your kindness and your thoughtfulness.

It was a very sad and scary thing to have our home burn down on Christmas morning. I hope that no one you know ever has such an experience. However, I hope that every day of your life you get to feel the amazing love and support that we have felt since the fire - not only from our friends and family but from people who do not even know us, like you.

Jens tells us that you are 9 years old. Your mum and dad must be so very proud of what a wonderful, compassionate young man you are. A lot of 9 year olds might not have thought of reaching out to help a family of strangers who had just suffered a loss like ours. It shows tremendous maturity and kindness. You should be proud, you are a hero.

We can't wait to meet you so that we can thank you in person. Your thoughtfulness and actions have made a big difference to us, and you have made our day brighter.

Thank you so much,
Vicki and Jack and Aly and Emmett Newton

1 comment:

  1. Jack is a wonderful young man. When I first met him he was somewhat shy to me.. I mean who is this big guy singing and screaming out Chelsea left and right. After a few games, Jack was my shadow.. at this point he barely came up to my waist. Everytime Chelsea would score a goal, he would run over to me so I could hold him high up on the air and he could cheer with all the rest of the fans gathered at Cuatro's. When I see him, I always get a small lift in my heart...Suz and I never had any children, but I do consider the little guy a big part of our weekend lives..

    ReplyDelete